SAMPLE PAGE

Thursday 13 December 2012

Melanie Fiona's Incredible 'Change The Record'


Is it just me or has the music industry shut up shop early this year? I know things wind down in December but we're in the middle of a pop drought and I'm starting to get thirsty! Labels have responded by churning out singles from long-dead albums just to have something on radio, which is allowing a couple of forgotten gems to have their moment to shine. The most notable is Melanie Fiona's "Change The Record".

To be honest I had all but forgotten about the Canadian soul singer. I loved her debut but just couldn't get into The MF Life. With one exception. "Change The Record" stands out on Melanie's sophomore set like Adele in Ethiopia. It's a bouncy pop hit with a distinct retro undercurrent courtesy of producer Los Da Mystro. He's not exactly in the same league as RedOne or Dr. Luke but the frequent The-Dream collaborator was responsible for Bey's epic "Schoolin' Life" and the only amazing song on Unapologetic (ie. "Nobody's Business") - so he's definitely one to watch.

This is proof that Mel can mix it up. Her soul ballads are unreal but she's had diminishing returns on the charts, so a catchy upbeat number with a hot rapper - B.o.B's contribution fits perfectly - is a good idea. I hope "Change The Record" gets promoted because it's incredible. Watch the cheap and cheerful video below. I may have to dust off my copy of The MF Life and have another listen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment